[X Newbies] How the Grinch Stole 45GB of My Hard Drive

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 2 11:11:02 PST 2002

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 12:08  PM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> IMHO, if they're not comfortable with the Terminal, they shouldn't be
> logging in as root...

I think the opposite is true. If you're not comfortable using the CLI
you should definitely use the GUI tools you are familiar with and can
use without fear of making a mistake. I see nothing wrong with
temporarily enabling the root account to perform some tasks that you
don't know how to do using the CLI. Even for those people comfortable
with the CLI, have you ever noticed how often CLI solutions given in
lists like this have followups describing a corrected or "better" way
of doing things to avoid potentially unforeseen consequences?

IMO, sudo in the hands of an inexperienced CLI user is more dangerous
than root in the hands of an experienced GUI user. Many shades of gray
exist in between.

-Mike