[X Newbies] OSX Trim The Fat

Miles mylasticposse at mac.com
Thu Dec 12 21:35:41 PST 2002

On 12/12/02 8:28 PM, "Nigel Williamson" <nigel.williamson at mojo.com.au>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Just subscribed to the list. Howdy. 8)
>
> I'm running X.2 on my G4PB 550/512/20G with average results. It gets
> pretty sluggish with any more than 4 or 5 apps running generally.
>
> My question is... Is there any bits of the OS I can delete that will
> make it run faster? Apart from the obvious printer drivers, modem
> scripts, languages crap... what else can I do to make it run faster?
> I'm running a shadowkiller app... but I'm not sure that makes it any
> quicker. I'm considering installing X on my external 80G FW drive as
> it's faster and has more space than my internal. What do you think?
 Do NOT delete parts of the OS to make it go faster. That was something that
worked on earlier versions. However, that is no longer the case. There are
other things that you can do, though. For one thing, go over macosxhints.com
they had a list of how to tweak things so that less of the processor is tied
up dealing with Aqua. Things like dealing with antialiasing and whatnot.
  I have had my system folder on an external drive before, but didn't seem
to notice anything faster. If anything I think that it was a little slower.
  Has your machine been able to run the cron clean up tasks that are set to
work at 0315? I have seen others make the observation that their machine was
noticeably slower when the maintenance scripts weren't able to run. I think
that I would try that first. Miles