[X Newbies] mail stuff

cricket cricket at apple.com
Fri Dec 13 14:27:00 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 9:08 PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> Oh oh!  While cricket is listening, a couple of "Mail" things:
>
>  - it would be nice if the popup you get when the server rejects your
> password had some option like "My lame-O ISP's mail server is hosed
> yet one more time, so wait a while and try again" instead of the only
> option being to retype the password and re-check the box. You just
> can't *imagine* how many times I've done that in the past few months.
> (A more succinct label would be OK ;)
>
> - when you putz an address and the SMTP server bounces it back
> (usually this happens when I type in a name like "Bob" and hit the tab
> before mail gets a chance to complete the name with a valid address),
> it would be nice if there were an option to edit the address and try
> again. As it is, you only have the option to try another SMTP server,
> or send the mail to wait in Out queue. Its so annoying to see the
> error right there, but have to hit the "cancel", watch the window go
> away, open the mailboxes window, hit the "out box" , open message, fix
> the address error, then hit send. Every time I make that error, I
> think "Boy, after that whipping, I'm sure not going to make that
> mistake again", but sooner or later . . . wham.
>
> And while we're at it, that Bayesian spam filter rocks. I'm getting
> about 20 a day, and its making maybe 1 mistake a week at most.

We've gotten lots of feedback with both of these suggestions, and we're
looking into ways to implement them. And one small correction to avoid
confusion -- the spam filter in Mail is not Bayesian, although it
shares some elements in common with Bayesian techniques.

- cricket

----->
Software Entomologist – Mail for Mac OS X
                 http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/mail.html