[X Newbies] Using partitions?

Brian Thorpe brithor52 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 03:34:59 PST 2002

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 10:58  AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:29  AM, Scott wrote:
>
>> Not possible. The beige G3 requires 10 to be installed on the first
>> partition, and requires that partition to be less than 8 GB in size.
>
> And he has wisely set it to 7.9 GB. Seems some people have been bitten
> by trying to set it at exactly 8, and as Scott says, it has to be less
> than 8 (though 8 does seem to work for some, go figure).

It was my understanding that *any* bootable operation system had to be
on the first 8Gb of the drive. That would include OS9. If I am wrong,
and booting 9 from beyond the 8Gb mark is possible I'd really like to
know about it.

My partition scheme has been ( 1998 Rev A iMac - 40Gb HD, 384Mb ram,
6Mb video ram) 1Gb for OS9, 6.9Gb for OSX, and the rest for Data such
as Mp3s, pictures, OS9 applications, and all other non-OSX
applications. It seems to work well and browsing the OSX partition is
nice and clean, that is, free of OS9 clutter.

bri