[X Newbies] Graphics software

David Flory daflory at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 27 23:53:17 PST 2002

> In an earlier age, when I had a Performa, I had both Quark and
> Photoshop that someone installed for me. Years later, I have an iMac
> running Jaguar, and I'd like to get back into photo manipulation and
> page layout. Does anyone know where I can get either of those
> programs, or reasonably similar ones, without paying an arm and a leg?

As others have already suggested, Graphic Converter is one of the best
programs available for handling pictures. Forget Quarck, their support
for the Mac sucks. There are a lot of good competing programs, just
search Version Tracker for Web Design or Page layout. My personal pick
is Canvas 8, it does photo stuff too. It's not cheap but it is pretty
much an all purpose graphics program, does bitmap/paint stuff, vector
graphics, page layout, etc, etc. Since it can take the place of several
different specialized programs its price becomes pretty reasonable.
I've used it since way back to version two. Oh yeah it also does scale
drawings and dimensioning, CAD like stuff. I first started doing to do
office setups using scale images of desks, chairs, etc. Our unit was
able to move to another part of our building in one 8 hour day, other
units took several days. The difference was the exact scale layouts we
worked to.
-
Dave Flory, San Jose, CA.  daflory at pacbell.net  Go Sea Kayaking!!  ©2002
-
     Speak softly and study Aikido, then you won't need a big stick.