[X Newbies] How the Grinch Stole 45GB of My Hard Drive

Randy B. Singer randy at mother.com
Sat Nov 30 12:00:11 PST 2002

Aaron Dickey said:

>I wish I could provide some actual _information_ about my problem, but
>I'm afraid I can't say much except the basic facts. I'm using a 17-inch
>iMac, 512MB, 80GB. In practice, of course, that 80GB was more like
>60-65GB, which is fine. Except that sometime during the last 3 days or
>so (if that long) around 40GB of that space has simply disappeared.

This problem is covered on my Web site:

How To Deal With
Common Macintosh OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Problems

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html

under item # 13.

Your disk can fill up with log files.  This can happen even if you leave
your Mac on all the time, if you let your Mac go to sleep.

Even if you don't put your Mac to sleep all of the time, keep in mind
that there are daily, monthly, and weekly maintenance routines.

If your hard drive has always been missing a huge chunk of space, it
might be a good idea to run Disk Utility and see how many partitions
there are.  Shockingly, sometimes Apple blocks off a portion of a
brand-new drive.  See:

If none of this helps, let me know.  There are other, less likely,
possibilities.

Randy B. Singer

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve food that is
inferior to McDonalds'.