[X Newbies] Deleting previous system?

Colin Hoogeboom hoogie69 at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 05:57:12 PDT 2003

At 05:41 AM 4/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 06:12:37 -0700
>Subject: Re: [X Newbies] Deleting previous system?
>From: Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com>
>
>on 03/04/07 05:13, Mark Taintor at markwt at mac.com wrote:
>
> > I upgraded to Jaguar last fall and just realized this morning that I still
> > have a "Previous System" folder on my hard drive. Is there any reason I
> > shouldn't delete that folder?
>
>In my experience, I'd say you could delete it.   Here's the very careful way
>to do it:
>
>1.  Wait a couple days for other replies.
>
>2. Make sure you have the capability to start this computer on another disk,
>or can access this disk in target disk mode from another computer.
>
>3.  Trash the "Previous System" folder.
>
>4.  Restart.
>
>5.  If you have any trouble, restart on your backup (step 1) and remove
>things from the trash.

The approach I have used successfully in the past is to "compress" (using
Stuffit or Zip or Tar) the file/folder in place removing the original.  I
then reboot to see if it "breaks" anything.  Run with this configuration
for a while.  If nothing is broken, delete the compressed file and be done
with it.  If something breaks, you are still able to recover from the
compressed version.

HTH,

Colin

¸,ø º°`°º ø,¸¸,ø º°`°º ø,¸¸,ø º°`°º ø,¸