Assorted questions

Ross Langmead rlangmead at whitley.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 10 04:39:50 PDT 2003

I've recently installed OS X (10.2.4) on my PowerBook G4 400, and now that
things are shaking down I'm left with a few questions, some about OS X and
some about Office X for Mac:

1  Sometimes the computer doesn't wake up from sleep and I have to restart
it.  Any clues?

2  Can you widen the columns in column view?  I like the column idea, but
can't read my longer file names because they get abbreviated.

3  I used to index the file contents automatically (every day at lunch time)
in System 9.  Can I do it in OS X?  As far as I can see it only indexes when
I manually request it under "Get Info" for any partition.

4  I find Word X crashes on me often.  Is this common and are there
remedies?

5   I haven't been able to print from Entourage X yet, despite it working
well in Word and Excel.  A blank page is printed.  (I usually print via an
ethernet network to an HP2200 Laserjet.)

6  In Entourage X can you opt to have multiple window panes open?  I like to
keep an email visible while copying contact details into my address book,
for example.

7  I have a one-user set up in OS X and I am, by default, the administrator,
but I find there are details I cannot change in my user account, namely the
'short name'.  I entered it wrongly the first time and can't fix it.  It
pops up on various occasions and I have to retype it each time.

I would appreciate any wisdom that can be shared on these things.

Many thanks,

Ross