[X Newbies] Assorted questions

Raoul Armfield armfield at amnh.org
Thu Apr 10 11:11:04 PDT 2003

:Whew!! This article suggests logging in as root, and it has
:FORTY (40) steps!!!
:
:I think my method is easier and safer, but, Ross, I again
:suggest you get a little more experience under your belt
:before trying this.  Just live with the short name you have
:for now.  You might get to like it!

As I am sure you are aware I did not hold this out as the simplest way
to do this.  In fact the 40 steps outlined in the KB are essentially
the same as the few steps you outlined.  however, IIRC for you to
change ownership of the files you need to log in as root any way.

On a side note.  I know in solaris and linux there is a usermod
command that will change your username, which is equivalent to the
short name in OS X, but I do not know what the corresponding command
is in OS X commandline, but that is a discussion for the X-Unix list.

Raoul