[X Newbies] Partitioning question

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Aug 1 13:54:57 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:12:58AM -0600, Mike Gantz wrote:
:
: I currently have an imac with a 6 GB drive (no partitions)  running
: 10.2.6 and 9.2. I am buying an emac with a 40 GB drive.
: I want to transfer ALL of my data to the new drive (including both
: OS's) and partition the new drive.
: Questions:
: 1. Will I have to partition the drive first (or should I) ?

No and no, IMHO.

: 2. How big should each partition be for each OS?

N.A.  See above.

: 3. Can I use a crossover cable to transfer all data?

Yes.

: 4. Will transferring the OS to the new machine overwrite the existing
: OS on the new machine ?

Yes, but it's not guaranteed to be complete.  For example, OS X might
install certain apps and drivers specific to a particular machine.  So
there's a possibility that the iMac OS X might have bits that are not
needed on the eMac.  Or the iMac OS X might be missing bits that got
installed on the eMac OS X.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/