[X Newbies] Regarding Database software

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sat Aug 2 23:41:27 PDT 2003

At 5:33 PM -0400 8/2/03, T. Patrick Henebry wrote:

>Ye gods...talk about swatting a fly with a sledgehammer! MNot to
>mention the need to know how to write SQL
>queries order to use it.

Your hyperbole notwithstanding, the man said 'free and yet more powerful'.

>MySQL is for high-end corporate work.

Poor MySQL, so many of my DBA and developer colleagues doing
"high-end corporate work" keep saying that it's for hobbyists and go
on to recommend $50K+ Oracle, DB2 and Informix solutions.

>Not to mention the need to know how to write SQL queries order to use it.

Three words - insert, update, delete? Really, SQL is probably the
only thing that's simpler than AppleScript. Once the database
instance is up, that is. Complete MySQL takes care of all the
esoteric installation and configuration, leaving the database design
and actual usage for KL. He sounded as though he was ready to take
the step up that MySQL represents. Perhaps you have some more
pertinent information than was apparent to me from his post. If so, I
apologise for my presumption.

Disclosure/rant: I'm an Oracle developer and admin, and (seldom now)
also an Informix developer and admin. That said, I wouldn't wish
high-end database development on any but my worst enemy. I really
admire efforts such as FileMaker which bring storage, manipulation
and retrieval of data to real people. It really shouldn't be as hard
as it is (w.r.t. interface) just to massage some info. What I'd
really like to see is an iApp for this. As much as we "purists"
disparage the ineptness of FileMaker, MS-Access and all the flat file
managers out there, the fact is that the average joe could care less
of the elegance of 4D, Cobb's rules or MySQL's support for
transactions. And the average joe does have use for the tools, just
not current implementations. Database Management is one of those
areas that still is the playground of the elite. As with 3D
modelling, publishing and videography, the role of the trained
professional remains undiminished but there is a place for polished,
user-friendly database tools "for the rest of us" analogous to the
role played by iMovie, for example.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]