[X Newbies] Speech Recognition Question

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 21:02:15 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 02:19 PM, David Brian Brown wrote:

> I think you need to upgrade to the HAL 9000 for that.

Sheesh - its been a while (my 8600 running system 9) since I messed
with speech, but its *really* easy to do that sort of thing, assuming
the speakable items folder in OS X works the same way as in OS 9. You
just  put a link or an Applescript of what you want to do into the
speakable items folder, and name it the command you want to say.  So
you'd just create an applescript to say "Good Morning Jim", name it
"Good Morning Ladybug" and put it in the speakable items folder.

I wanted to set up some things like that so I could yell at the
computer from across the room some convenience things like "mute", go
to sleep, play some music, etc.  But I don't have a microphone right
now, so no speech experiments.

SR