[X Newbies] A Server or not a Server?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 18 07:14:28 PDT 2003

On 8/18/03 4:04 PM, "Andy Caldwell, AIA" <andy at rwmaia.com> wrote:

> What are the advantages of buying a server (such as an X-Serve) over simple
> file sharing?
> (other than the obvious web-hosting and mail-hosting capability)
>
> We're upgrading our office to new OSX machines soon.  Currently we have an
> old 8500 that's got all the office files on it's hard drive.  Not a true
> server, just file sharing for 6 other computers on the network.

If all you are doing is file sharing, it'll be a lot easier, not to mention
cheaper, to just use any Mac running OS X. There aren't many advantages in
your situation to having an X-Serve, other than the cool-factor.  :-)

Kirk

     Author of: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line (Dec. 2003)
  Co-author of: Mastering Mac OS X: Panther Edition (Fall 2003)
  Co-author of: Macworld Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible
  Co-author of: Microsoft Office v. X Inside Out
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .