[X Newbies] Web design for home use

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Aug 22 22:25:02 PDT 2003

Simon Briggs said:

>OK, I am virtually OS9 free... I have to start classic however to use
>Claris Homepage, which rocks as a web design tool, WYSIWYG.
>Is there an OSX app that comes close but does not cost an arm and a leg?
>What are people using?

Have a look at:

The Composer component of Mozilla (FREE)
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.4/mozilla-mac-MachO-1.
4.dmg.gz

Composer is WYSIWYG, easy to use, and may be all that you need for a very
nice personal Web site.  It is quite a bit like Claris Homepage.

Tumult HyperEdit
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~deutschj/HyperEdit/
is a FREE lightweight HTML editor (so you have to know HTML to use this
product to create a Web site) with a preview pane that displays the web
page live as you type. HyperEdit breaks the tedious cycle of writing
html, saving the file, then reloading and viewing the page in the browser
by combining the writing phase with the viewing phase. This clarifies the
effects of your changes and speeds up the overall process of making a web
page. It uses the same rendering engine found in Safari, so it is not
only standards compliant, but also very fast.

Freeway Express ($79) is a consumer-level version of the professional
WYSIWYG program, with a simplified interface and many web site templates.
http://www.softpress.com/en/freeway/express

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X Jaguar Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html