[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 00:19:13 PDT 2003

On 22/8/03 Randy B.Singer wrote:

>Though there are currently no OS X-specific viruses, I've spoken with
>some Macintosh programmers that I respect, and they seem to feel that
>writing one would be trivially easy for someone with the ability to
>program for the Mac.
Not that I doubt your word, (my programming knowledge is as near zero as
makes no difference) but take a look at this:

<http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthreads/
showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news030821vir
usphp&Number=521093&page=&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&part=&returnto=http://
maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/21/virus/index.php>

I have seen another post (which I can't find again) where the writer (who
claims to be a very experienced Unix programmer) is saying the same -
that these things are at best very difficult and if produced are unlikely
to cause major damage due to the Unix system architecture.

One other point.  Surely if writing viruses for Unix was a relatively
simple proposition, since a great many servers run Unix of one sort or
another, why has no one attacked those, or is it that they are better
protected?  To take down major servers would cause chaos.

I'm confused.

Chris