[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat Aug 23 05:55:15 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 04:11 Canada/Eastern, Randy B. Singer
wrote:

> I would also prefer to believe that it can't be done.  But I'm not
> naive.
>  I can only guess that the reason that no OS X viruses have appeared
> before now is because Mac users tend to be more mature than Windows
> users
> (think of the hundreds of thousands of children who purchase Windows
> PC's
> to play games with them, and who have too much free time, and who
> decide
> it might be cool to create a virus). I'm sure that is one of the major
> reasons why there were so few viruses for OS 7/8/9.

Randy offers the cool voice of reason and common sense, but I think
he's still somewhat naive. The chief reason for absence of Mac viruses
is neither better security, nor a better quality of users. It's simply
that Apple has less than 5% of the market share, and that less than 5%
percent is not in any crucial area. This has two consequences. First,
the pool of potential authors of malware is much, much smaller than for
Windows. (Possibly, this is even further restricted by the
higher-income demographics of that tiny fraction of the market.)
Second, there is virtually no incentive to attack Macs. What most
malware authors crave is notoriety, if not for themselves at least for
their products. There is no notoriety to be had in attacking Macs.
Write a worm that cripples Mac e-mail systems, and you might make page
40 of the New York Times -- if your masterpiece is particularly nasty.
Forget about CNN or BBC anytime, let alone primetime. Write one that
buggers Windows -- and the whole world will be talking about you.