[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 11:36:34 PDT 2003

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 11:03 AM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

> Say the measure for security is the ratio of successful viruses to all
> viruses, where a successful virus is one that does what it was
> designed to do, and an unsuccessful virus is one that is blocked by
> the system's security features. Say this measure is 10% for Windows,
> and say Mac and Win are equally secure.

The overarching issue - what Mac and PC users really want to know - is
whether the Mac and PC are equally secure, so it doesn't make sense to
presume that as the initial conditions of a thought experiment.

Further, it was my initial point that this is false - the Mac and PC
are NOT equally securable, and the evidence of that is right in front
of our eyes.  You could spend some time refuting what I explained in my
post, rather than complaining that your points are ignored.

>  . . . Everything is sufficiently explained by the size of the sample.
> . . .

This is the logical technique I objected to in my original post. You've
just presented a more long winded version of the same essential logical
pattern:  assert without evidence that the Mac and PC are equally
secure, then show how the current Mac / PC virus ratio fits what one
would expect. This is humorously ironic given that you wasted a few
posts in complaining that nobody makes the argument I'm refuting.

You changed the key element of the conditions that explains the virus
situation from "virus writers want notoriety" to "fewer Macs affect
propagation", but the logical pattern is the same - assume the initial
condition that Macs and PCs are equally secure based on nothing.

You're misusing Occam's Razor - which says not to introduce complexity
without evidence, not that the simplest explanation is the correct one.
  If you want to apply Occam's Razor to the issue, you can use it to
slash out the unsupported assumption that the PC and Mac are equally
secure.

> I'll assume you are an adult and we can have a conversation based on
> mutual respect.

It takes a lot more than being an adult for that. You've got a snarky
streak a mile wide, and a good example of it is making that comment
rather than simply writing something civil and focused on communication
rather than sarcasm.

SR