[X Newbies] Mail Slowdown

cricket cricket at apple.com
Mon Aug 25 16:25:46 PDT 2003

We have seen some cases where index files get unusually large, which
could lead to a slowdown like you're seeing. It's a bit tricky to track
this down, though. If you quit Mail, then go to the Finder and navigate
to the Library/Mail folder in your home directory. You should see your
mailboxes organized roughly like you would see them in the mailboxes
drawer. Find the mailbox that you're having trouble with and ctrl-click
on it and choose Show Package Contents. Move aside (or you can delete)
any files with the word index in the title. The next time you launch
Mail and open this mailbox, the index will rebuild itself. See if that
resolves the problem.

- cricket

On Aug 25, 2003, at 4:20 PM, David Boag wrote:

> I've got to do something now. My Mail application is suddenly giving
> me many long-term spinning wheels, especially when I am in a certain
> mailbox which has most of my digests (about 3500 to be exact).
>
> I have already tried to rebuild the offending mailbox, but that does
> not seem to fix the issue.
>
> Should I throw out preferences? If so, how do I do that?
>
> If that doesn't work, should I reinstall Mail? If so, how do I do
> that? And if not, what next?

----->
Software Entomologist – Mail for Mac OS X
                 http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/mail.html