[X Newbies] Script question

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Aug 28 12:36:35 PDT 2003

jc said:

>I know from what I've read that I should be using scripts. Can someone
>give me a little tutoring on how it works and where do I put an already
>made script and how to activate it?
>
>Maybe a link to a web page will suffice also a link where I might find
>scripts already written.

There are a wealth of resources on the Web to help you learn about
AppleScript.  So many, in fact, that no other resource should be
necessary to learn all that you want to know about AppleScript, no matter
what your level of interest.:

A quick primer on AppleScript:

AppleScript an Informal Overview
<http://www.conknet.com/~mmagnus/Applescript/>

AppleScript Guides from Apple:

- AppleScript Overview, including the AppleScript Guidebook training
module
<http://www.apple.com/applescript/>

- AppleScript Language Guide, a complete guide to the AppleScript language
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/interapplicationcomm/App
leScript/AppleScriptLangGuide/index.html>

Other Applescript Resources:

T&B AppleScript Tutorial: <http://www.tandb.com.au/applescript/>
The AppleScript Sourcebook:
<http://www.AppleScriptSourcebook.com/frames.html>
AppleScript Help Modules:
<http://www.apple.com/applescript/help_mods.html>
Bill Briggs' primers: <http://www.maccentral.com/columns/briggs.shtml>
AppleScript Central: <http://www.applescriptcentral.com/>
MacScripter.Net: <http://macscripter.net/>

AppleScript mailing lists:

- AppleScript Users Discussion List:

- MACSCRPT discussion list:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=macscrpt&A=1

You might want to check out the freeware AppleScript editor SMILE or
purchase the even more powerful Script Debugger.

Script Debugger ($199.00)
<http://www.latenightsw.com/ >
SMILE (Free)
<http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/soft9.html>
<http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/softx.html>
<http://homepage.mac.com/satimage/.cv/satimage/Public/Classic/Smile1.8.4_US
.sit-binhex.hqx>

Smile fills Apple's Script Editor's main gaps : 'Search' / 'Replace' /
'Compare' / 'Find definition', no 32k limit, drag-and-drop, keyboard
selection. It implements the most recent Apple technologies (Appearance,
Navigation).  In addition it provides lots of tools to make scripting
faster, easier, and safer.

This site has a comparison of different AppleScript editors
<http://www.tandb.com.au/applescript/editors/>

Apple has a free preview version of the new 2.0 Script Editor for OS X
(for Jaguar only)
<http://www.apple.com/applescript/script_editor/>

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X Jaguar Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html