[X Newbies] Can't install on Beige G3

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Fri Aug 29 19:43:09 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 07:07  PM, Chris Lowrance wrote:

> I have a 15" Titanium laptop upgraded to 1GB RAM. I had some
> intermittent crashes and generally weird behavior(both before and
> after RAM upgrade). I decided my 'puter could use a fresh install of
> the OS, so I scrubbed the HDD and started clean. After 3 failed
> installs - always near the very end, I yanked the new RAM out and put
> in the original 512MB that came in the laptop. Lo and behold, OS
> install went flawlessly...after a lil trial and error, I found I had a
> bum stick of RAM. RMA'd the RAM and now all is well.

I would agree with this and would also add that when I was trying to
install X onto my old beige I had to strip it back to stock. That is,
96MB RAM, which seemed rather odd as theoretically that is not even
enough to run X. However, once I did that, the install went flawless.
The 'can't open' thing if I recall refers to Firmware maybe being in
need of updating.

__
William Lane
Calgary, Canada