[X Newbies] upgrading

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sat Aug 30 05:37:11 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 02:50 Canada/Eastern, John Lowther wrote:

> the new (to me) G3 i have hooked to a monitor and spare keyboard, it
> is running and functional in OS 9.2.2.
>
> i use an iMac 17" flat screen -- you know, the one that looks like a
> funky lamp -- anyway, i am running OS X.2.

Check on Apple's site if your G3 can boot in FireWire Target Disk Mode
(I suspect it doesn't, but I can't remember). If yes, you can hook up
your machines with a FireWire cable, boot them with the G3 in Target
mode, and use a tool such as CCC, Retrospect, or ditto to duplicate
your iMac drive to the G3 drive.

If no, install OS X on the G3 (use the same account name and password),
then network the machines as described earlier, and use a sync tool,
such as Synchronize Pro, to sync your folders.

Let us know if you need further help to configure your network.