[X Newbies] Internet Sharing?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sun Aug 31 17:39:41 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 31, 2003, at 13:34 Canada/Eastern, John Wilson wrote:

> I don't think this will work with two ethernet cards, as you described
> [...]

Actually, it should. It's not clear why Jack's setup doesn't work -- he
needs to post more details -- but that's how it's supposed to work.

On Sunday, Aug 31, 2003, at 14:26 Canada/Eastern, Albert D'Amanda wrote:

> Correct

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect.

You can use a router, which functions as a gateway between your LAN and
the internet.

Or you can use Jaguar's Internet Sharing feature (for a quick
description, simply search Help for "sharing" and "internet"), and it
doesn't require that only one machine be on the internet; on the
contrary, the gateway Mac (the Mac which is doing the sharing) has to
be on the internet, otherwise it will have nothing to share.

A router costs extra, but it offers a series of very useful additional
features. Sharing the Internet connection through a Mac is cheaper, but
it has a number of downsides; first and foremost, the Mac doing the
sharing has to be on -- if it goes down for any reason, good-bye
connection. But it can do something a router can't, such as share a
dial-up connection (which is not likely to be often used) or function
as a software AirPort base station (which is much more useful). So,
using this feature you can build more complex and flexible networks.

So, which should you use? In most cases, for the gateway between your
LAN and the internet, a router. If you can afford at least two Macs and
broadband, you can definitely afford the $50 a router costs nowadays,
and the security features alone are worth it.

So why isn't Jack's setup working? It depends on his Macs and his
Ethernet cards. It could be that he requires a crossover Ethernet cable
between the two Macs. It could be that he didn't turn on DCHP on the
client Mac. Or perhaps some other reasons -- we can't tell at this
point.