[X Newbies] upgrading

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Aug 31 23:14:47 PDT 2003

John Lowther said:

>What I want to do is copy software applications from my iMac to the G3.
>I am not averse to networking but this was not my goal, I want each
>machine to be able to run a selection of programs that I have on just
>the one right now--- MS office suite, Photoshop and a few others.

>If I understand correctly what I need now is an Ethernet cable. With
>this I will be able to copy these applications to the G3... is that
>correct?  (Here would be where I would need some step by step if anyone
>has the time and inclination.)

I found a previous message from you to the list that says that you have a
17-inch flat panel iMac.  That's good, because it means that you have two
machines that both have FireWire.  While networking the two machines
together using Ethernet will work, it isn't the easiest way for you to do
what you need to do.

By far the easiest way would be to use FireWire target disk mode.  This
allows you to connect the two computers together with a FireWire cable
and transfer the files as if you were transfering from one drive to
another (simple drag and drop):

One minor problem is finding someplace to purchase a FireWire cable that
won't charge you $36, like CompUSA would want to. Here is a 6ft. one (6
pin to 6 pin, which is what you need) for only $8:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/2522571

More info on FireWire Target Disk Mode:

Make sure that your G3 has all the relevant updates, especially the
FireWire update:

Connect the Firewire cable between the two Macs.  Start up your iMac with
the "T" key held down until the bouncing FireWire symbol appears.  If
necessary restart your blue & white G3 to make your iMac's hard drive
show up on the desktop.  Now simply work with the iMac's drive icon as if
it were an external drive to your blue & white G3 and drag and drop any
software, or entire folders, that you want to copy from one machine to
the other.

Good luck!

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X Jaguar Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html