[X Newbies] Setting the Cron times to other than default.

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 06:43:25 PST 2003

On Nov 30, 2003,, at 10:38 PM, Leon Sargent wrote:

> If there a program or some terminal commands I could use to change the
> Cron times to sometime other than 3 in the morning.  I have my
> computer to shut down at 3am.
>
> Lee
>

> -

Here is what works for me

At terminal type in

sudo pico /etc/crontab  <Rtn>

It then asks for your password

Type it in and <RTN>

The Crontab Table will display

Use the TAB key to move the cursor
Be careful . First try to lookkup Pico in Apple Help or (?)( I have a
book on Mac OSX) .It  does not work like a word processor. That is, you
must use the  Tab  to move the cursor and must place the cursor in
"funny" positions to delete and change an entry.

Also
To delete text :   <Control> <d>
To Save :  <Control> o  <rtn>
To exit <Control> (x)

good luck if you are not unix-terminal oriented (like me!)

albert