The Tasks, etc.

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg253 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 3 08:56:06 PST 2003

I have lately been unduly obsessed with the so called "cron tasks" that
take place automatically if you leave your Mac on all the time. I
wonder how important they are, if those of us that are more savvy are
just more neurotic too. I use Mac Janitor on my PowerBook as I don't
wish to leave it on overnight. My G4 had been left on 24/7 for the past
year, but one of the fans is starting to make noise and I want to
preserve the life of the computer so I started leaving it asleep at
night and perform the tasks manually via Mac Janitor. Last night I got
out of bed to make sure it was asleep because I was afraid if I had
left it on, the automated task would repeat what I had already done, or
maybe would be on a different schedule and screw things up. Is that
even possible? (It was asleep by the way.) I have also started to
contemplate most of the other Mac OS X users I know who have never
heard of, don't care about, will not be bothered with such things as
"cron tasks", permissions and other thing we are obsessed with, and
seem no worse for the wear. My mother who has an iMac and lives in an
area that experiences frequent power outages, leaves her computer off
most of the time and wouldn't perform a daily Mac Janitor routine if
they paid her. Yet her system works fine. Apple does not mention these
tasks in any of its readily available user information and you will not
find anything if you type in cron tasks in the Mac help search area. I
will continue my faithful routines regardless, but is there really any
harm done in not doing them? Sorry for the length.
Greg