[X Newbies] The Tasks, etc.

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 09:42:08 PST 2003

The importance of the cron tasks depends on how likely you are to
accumulate the things it cleans up. Cron tasks don't run while the
Mac's sleeping; that's why Mac janitor, etc, exist. Your G4 behaved
correctly. Panther appears to have built-in permissions fixing when
installers are run. I ran permissions fixing from Disk Utility, last
night, for the first time in probably a month. It only fixed a couple
of things--dramatically fewer than with 10.1 or 10.2.

As for your mother, you could do two things. Put Mac Janitor, or
something like it, in via a startup script. It can run the cron tasks
for her in the background. She doesn't even need to know it's
happening. More important, for someone whose Mac has frequent
unplanned, improper shutdowns, you should be sure she has journaling
enabled.