[X Newbies] Panther Upgrade/Unix

Tor Hildrum torhildr at mac.com
Mon Dec 15 05:41:44 PST 2003

On 15. des. 2003, at 13.00, Mike Binstock wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to upgrade my old 2000 Imac and my Ibook to
> Panther but I am concerned that if I do upgrade I will
> loose all my opensource software that I have installed
> in the unix shell, for example Pine, Tintin,
> Openoffice, etc etc.  Will Panther destroy these
> programs?  Will I have to reinstall each unix program?

If you upgrade to Panther, it shouldn't. It might be that
you need to recompile some stuff to get it to work, but
as a general rule this shouldn't be required.

But, based on experience, I would recommend to at
least perform an Archive and Install. I've done 100+
"upgrades" from 10.1 -> 10.2 -> 10.3. And, doing the
upgrades has given me flaky results many times.
I thus prefer the "clean upgrade" solution you get
with either an Archive and Install or format + install.

But, alas, YMMV :)

Tor