[X Newbies] Hard Disk Icons in OS X

Jeff Rothfus saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 19 09:29:15 PST 2003

On 12/19/03 you wrote:

>>Could someone help me understand the two kinds of Hard Disk icons --
>>"white" and "metal"?
>
>i have never heard of that... could you send me a screen capture so i
>can see what you are talking about.

Hi Aranzazu,

I'm sure you've seen the icons.  I'm just not describing them properly ...

The "metal" drive icon is the photo-realistic image of a bare hard drive
which is familiar to all OS X users.

The "white" icon looks like the white case of an external USB floppy and
is commonly seen as the icon for Disk Copy's mounted disk images.

I presume the "metal" icon should be the boot drive, but on my "good" OS
X installation it's not.  In my case, the boot drive shows as the "white"
icon.

Thanks!

jeff