Upgrading To Panther Tommorrow Tips?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Dec 24 12:09:09 PST 2003

> From: "Dragonberry.com" <terry at dragonberry.com>
>
> On 12/23/03 12:25 PM, "Charles Martin" <chasm at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> 7. Speaking of fonts, play with Fontbook if you want but BE CAREFUL.
>> It
>> allows you to turn OFF fonts that the system NEEDS and can cause
>> problems if you do.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?
> I just turned off a bunch of fonts I never use.
> Is there a specific list?

You're right, I should have elaborated a bit.

Fontbook will not let you turn off fonts that Aqua (the GUI part of the
OS) requires, like Lucinda Grande. But it will let you turn off fonts
that APPLICATIONS require (such as Classic, Terminal and Quicktime)
that can cause weird display problems if you do.

In particular, be careful not to turn off monospaced fonts like Geneva.
Applications such as the Terminal require it and will not display
properly. I found this out the hard way -- my Terminal window was a
tiny square with a red dot in it for a week until I sussed out the idea
that maybe I had turned off a font that it needed.

_Chas_

http://www.orlandocitybeat.com
The one-stop guide to Orlando art, culture, nightlife and more.