[X Newbies] Making a bootable Windows CD in Panther 10.3.1

Gunnar Weygold laptop1 at paganlibrary.com
Thu Dec 25 19:44:49 PST 2003

On 12/05/2003 21:17, "Leon Sargent" <Leon.Sargent at verizon.net> wrote:

> I need to make a bootable Windows cd with Toast 6.1.  How would I do it?
>
> The source image is probably going to be DMG.
>
> Lee

I don't believe you can unless the DMG is from a bootable source. Until we
get, or somebody shows me where I'm wrong, access to a true bit-level
device, we can't create bootable images of foreign media.

OS's such as Linux, *BSD, etc, can use the dd command to do a bit-level copy
of a disk. The dd command exists in OS X, but it doesn't operate properly,
in my experience, in copying media.

Should you get to a Linux, UNIX, *BSD box, the command is:

dd if=/dev/cd_device of=whatever.iso bs=32k

You can rename the ISO image and mount it on the desktop, or, use it as is
in Roxio to burn an exact, bootable copy. It will even copy copy-protected
CD's that use software encryption.

--

Never hold a belching contest with a dragon.

Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold    |           Mac OS X & FreeBSD
The Pagan Library            |                TiBook G4 667
http://www.paganlibrary.com  |