[X Newbies] upgrading panther

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Sun Dec 28 10:55:51 PST 2003

On 12/28/03 1:46 PM, "Renita Williams" <rmmwms at att.net> wrote:
> I have a few questions:
> 1. Should I update to 10.2.8 first?
> 2. Should I do an Upgrade install or Archive and Install based on the
> fact that I currently have no problems?

1. NO. It is not helpful, and only takes time and introduces the possibility
of error. Using CCC is a great idea before upgrading - unless your backup
drive fails, there is no way you can get into trouble.

2. Archive and install is a CLEAN way to do it. Probably would work with the
upgrade, but why? Just make sure to check the option to preserve users, and
there will be very little to do after upgrading (just installing 3rd part
contextual menus, perhaps some services, etc.) I found in my upgrading that
the new features of Panther made some of my old stuff obsolete, so I was
glad not to have done the upgrade (which would have copied over some of my
system stuff).

--
Bruce