Transferring everything off an iMec to an eMac

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 31 09:49:29 PST 2003

>From: Birgit Rhoads <wdlnd at adelphia.net>
>Subject: Re: [X Newbies]
>Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:09:35 -0500
>
>I just did the same thing.  I made sure my files were backed up and
>then  transferred  files by firewire.  You can also use Carbon Copy
>Cloner, but I would want to have the same OS on both drives, although I
>was told I could use CCC to transfer from OS 10.2 to 10.3.
>
>Birgit Rhoads

What I have done several times is to set up the new system on the new
machine as far as establishing your login account (but not internet
configuration). Then put this machine in firewire target mode and use
carbon copy cloner to copy your old user folder to the new system.
Then go to Library on the old machine and use the finder to copy
preferences, application support items and other specific items. You
will still have to reserialize a few applications, but most will work
fine.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html