PowerBook won't sleep

Andrew Main handymac at newmexico.com
Tue Feb 4 04:10:26 PST 2003

For some reason, my PowerBook (G3 FW) never goes to sleep anymore,
even if left for an hour or more. It's presently set to sleep at 30
minutes, and to "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible." I've been
on X.2.1 for over a month, and it used to sleep, until the last week
or so. The display darkens, but the HD keeps spinning, though I have
no idea what's keeping it awake.

I tried to find a way to manually spin down the HD, so I could see
what makes it awaken again, but had no luck; another OS 9 feature
that seems to have been dropped in X. Does anyone know a way to do
this, or have a guess why my PB won't sleep on its own?

The PB's insomnia is doubly annoying because the old cmd-shift-zero
quick sleep method is gone; there appears to be no way to avoid using
the trackpad/cursor to put the PB to sleep manually. Is there?

Andrew Main