Seeking the source of kernel panics

Ian Sights isights at swbell.net
Thu Feb 6 21:23:36 PST 2003

I've got a sawtooth G4 with 10.2.3 and I've been having some apps quit
from time to time. Now I've been getting kernel panics fairly
regularly. I'm not sure what to do next.

I switched to a different install of Jaguar on a different drive ( a
clean install) and still got kernel panics, so I don't think it's my OS
or installed apps.
I pulled the memory cards one by one to see if there was a bad chip and
the machine would crash about every 10 minutes anyway. So it's probably
not a bad chip, unless I have two bad DIMMS. I can't run DIMM first aid
because if I boot into 9.x, the machine will freeze shortly after
getting to the desktop. (less than a minute)  This even if I boot from
the OS 9 install CD. Ouch. I did run DIMM first aid when I first got OS
X back in November, for what that's worth.
I'll get panics when I'm opening a document from an application, or
mousing in the Finder. I can't see a real pattern. I do have a wacom
tablet and mouse installed, but I got a kernel panic once when I wasn't
even at the machine, but a few feet away on my 7600.
I did install a Pioneer (Cendyne) DVR-105 drive last month, but since
it's the same as the superdrive, I wouldn't think that was too out of
the ordinary.

I had noticed that Photoshop or Illustrator would quit when the
monitors went to sleep (no dialog box, they just quit) , so I've been
suspecting my old iX3d display card I've been using to run my second
monitor for a while. I was surprised that it even worked with Jaguar at
all.
I've pulled the card and ordered the ATI Raedon 7000 PCI as a tradeup.
(see their site for details on the trade in)
But I've continued to have kernel panics even with the stock display
card. True, much less often, (twice in 14 hours) but that's still too
often for me.

Now at least I can get some work done, but I'm open to suggestions of
things to check or do.

Ian Sights