[X Newbies] Maybe this explains why - CISC not RISC

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 11 00:20:35 PST 2003

On 2/11/03 8:58, "TheMacintoshLady" <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net> wrote:

> This article probably explains why my 350 mhz iMac with Os 9 is faster
> and more responsive than a G4/800 mhz with OS X on it for stuff like
> dragging text:
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/02/10/21/1211236.shtml?tid=156

I think the difference is more in the video. OS X is extremely demanding,
with drop shadows all over the place, anti-aliased fonts, etc.

Change the display on your X box to thousands of colors, and turn of
anti-aliasing, and you'll see a faster response.

Kirk

                                  vice versa
  Freelance Writer | Technical Writer | Translator - French to English
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .