[X Newbies] Portable mp3 players besides ipod?

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 12 12:39:26 PST 2003

on 03/02/12 17:16, David Whelpley at whelp at earthlink.net wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a ultra small portable mp3 player that works
> with itunes and OS X.  The ipod is great but I really need something
> smaller.

My wife bought a tiny "iRock" last week.  "Windows/Mac" they say.  The
CD-ROM came with several "plug-ins" which installed in the iTunes Folder.
We had no problems even though the CD had iTunes 2, but her computer has
iTunes 3 and Jaguar.  So, it looks like they did a good job on the software.
I just hope it doesn't break with OS 10.3 or OS 11.  Third parties have
little incentive to update their drivers - it lowers their sales of new
products if the old ones still work.

I think the built-in memory was 128 MB, expandable with a SmartCard.  USB
download, not firewire, so I guess its slower

But you have to remove the battery to recharge it.  I hate that.

Does anyone know of one which which you can plug a charger into or that will
charge from the USB or firewire like the iPod does?

Jerry