[X Newbies] Crash city

lbdesigns at earthlink.net lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 20:06:06 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 04:13  PM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:

> Something is running and taking up a lot of memory. It's the
> ATSserver..what is that? Apple Talk Server? How to turn that off?

ATSServer = Apple Type Solution Server. Enables system-wide font
management.

It's generally not something you want to turn off. How much memory is
it using? How much of the CPU is it using? It normally doesn't take
much of the CPU or much memory.

What apps are running at the time? Are there any messages from/about
ATSServer in console.log?

Have you installed any fonts, or any apps that install fonts recently?
Do you use Classic?

There is a way to see what it is doing -- however, it involves using
Terminal to type (or copy/paste) a simple command ... but if ATSServer
is misbehaving, it would really help to see what it's doing.

Let me know if you want to try that, and I'll send the instructions ...
:o)