[X Newbies] Crash city

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 02:17:14 PST 2003

lbdesigns at earthlink.net tapped out this message on 2/12/2003 11:06 PM

>On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 04:13  PM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:
>
>> Something is running and taking up a lot of memory. It's the
>> ATSserver..what is that? Apple Talk Server? How to turn that off?
>
>ATSServer = Apple Type Solution Server. Enables system-wide font
>management.

OK that explains why after a few minutes, the usage goes back to zero.

>Have you installed any fonts, or any apps that install fonts recently?
>Do you use Classic?

Nope.....and I will probably switch back to OS 9 now permanently that
I've had my fling.....this machine can boot into 9 but will not allow you
to erase the HD and JUST have 9...which bothers me but what can I do? 6
MB of HD space I can not afford to waste.

I have turned off software updates, QT updates, automatic connection to
internet, Indexing and everything else that might cause the machine to
work...and if I can't control IT, IT is not going to control me.....