[X Newbies] Crash city

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 09:04:23 PST 2003

Gregoire Seither tapped out this message on 2/13/2003 10:06 AM

>le 13/02/2003 15:40, TheMacintoshLady écrivait :
>
>> There is no Boot CD for 9, the OS 9 is in .pkg format and it must be done
>> with X on the drive.....so no, you can't.

>Ahem again... you should normally have  received 4 CDs with your new Mac

As I wrote in a previous post, Mac OS 9 is NOT a boot CD, it has .pkg
files on it and can NOT be used alone. There is no "applications CD" as
well, they are in the package with the systems they run on.

>- Mac OS X install
>- Mac OS 9 install
>- Apple Hardware Test
>- Applications

>You can boot off the first three.

NO YOU CAN'T!!! Sorry.....

> - If you haven't received these CDs, check
>with the store or send me an address where I can send you one of ours.

That's nice of you but I have the latest and greatest OS 9.2.1 CD and it
won't boot the machine at all. I could not buy a 9.2.2 CD anywhere.

>But I still don't see why you can't
>a) boot into X :
>b) install OS 9 from the package
>c) boot into OS 9
>d) trash the Mac OS X folder to gain disk space

That in and of itself is possible but I could not get a straight answer
from him, he said something about ROMS not allowing me to do this.

>By the way, on all our systems Mac OS X takes about 1 ,2 Gig (with
>applications and big Mail file), nowhere near the 6 Gigs you wish to
>reclaim.

Well, my HD is 55.x gigs or 61 if you count K=1,000 and there is only
49.x available........and nothing of mine is even on there yet, save for
a few text files.....

If you can figure out how to get this off my machine I would do it, but I
don't want to risk the loss of the Word processor and other extras that
were installed with it.