[X Newbies] Crash city

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 10:15:42 PST 2003

Michael Winter tapped out this message on 2/13/2003 1:09 PM

>On a similar note, I think I remember you saying this is an eMac? For a
>list of Macs that won't boot in OS 9 see
><http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n86209> . If yours is on the list,
>you're out of luck.

It boots but will not be reformatted with any 9 disk I have, which is the
latest 9.2.1 that they just sent me, primarily to use with machines that
never had X on them but need both systems.

>Also, you say all the OS 9 stuff that came with your computer is in
>.pkg form?

Yes sir that's right.

> I thought that was true only for computers that won't boot
>OS 9. Otherwise I thought (based on no-first hand knowledge) it was in
>a .dmg file which could be burned to a CD to create a startup disk.

This will RUN 9 but you can not use it to reinstall, and I never got a
definitive answer as to whether I could trash X and then boot in 9....I
rather not do it that way, it leaves invisible files, so I am not going
to try. I think he said the ROM won't let me boot up UNLESS X is on there.

>Anyway, one final note. I too have an older Mac running OS 9 that's
>primarily just a fax machine. IMO faxing is still something that works
>better in OS 9 due to the maturity of the fax software on that platform.

God bless GlobalFax 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 (both external and internal modem
versions)!