[X Newbies] Airport Extreme

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Feb 20 08:10:54 PST 2003

On 2/20/03 7:40 AM, "Dragonberry.com" <terry at dragonberry.com> wrote:

> Any comments on the Unidirectional or Omni directional antenna?
> What I would *like* to do is use my notebook on my 2nd floor while my base
> station is in the basement.
> Do I need the boost to go through two floors?
>
> Curious,

Yes, those look very interesting. I am moving from my condo to a house in
the next couple months and have the opportunity to have it wired how I want.
I would love to go completely Airport/wireless, but have heard not only
mixed reviews of airport reception on the Ti's (potentially fixed with new
models of the Albooks) but also mixed reviews on Airport signal strength
throughout different rooms (even large empty ones).

I wonder if any market exists or if the technology can bare the cost of a
'Airport Lite'. Maybe a 20ft range unit that could be affordable enough to
buy several and distribute throughout a house or office space with thick
walls. Simply plug into any available Telephone/communications port and
provide portable short range strong signal connectivity or perhaps linked
connectivity to a base station somewhere in the house.

Also.. To TheMacintoshLady, just so you know - as far as OS9 compatability,
the new Airport Extreme basestation must be administered through an OSX
machine.

Bill Reburn