Trouble with Default Browser

Robert roehner snopple at mac.com
Thu Jan 2 09:47:47 PST 2003

Hi everybody. I'm a long time Mac user who just last week began using
OS X (10.2.3) on our new eMac. Love it. But I do have a question.

When someone E-mails me a link, I click on it. If Explorer 5.2.1 (OS
X) is running, it will connect like it's supposed to. But if IE 5.2.1
is not running, my computer attempts to launch Explorer 5.0 under
Classic.

IE 5.2.1 is chosen as the default browser in Internet Preferences.
Someone suggested I launch Classic and be sure that the correct
version of IE is selected in the Internet Control Panel. IE is
selected, however no version is specified. When I choose select and
navigate through the various folders to get to Jaguars Application
Folder, IE will not show up.

Just for the heck of it I selected Netscape Navigator as the default
browser in OS 9's Internet Control Panel. I went back to OS X and
clicked on an E-mail link that someone had sent me. Sure enough my
eMac attempted to launch the OS 9 version of Navigator. Not a major
problem, but does anyone why this is happening and how to correct it.
Thanks in advance.

Robert Roehner
<snopple at mac.com>