[X Newbies] Trouble with Default Browser

Robert roehner snopple at mac.com
Sat Jan 4 09:41:58 PST 2003

On 03Jan03, Birgit Rhoads <woodlandogs at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Are you sure that the mail program you are using is OS
>X?  Just a thought that you could be clicking on a OS 9
>mail program and didn't notice the multicolored apple in
>the menu bar.

Brigit,

When we set up our new OS 10.2.3 eMac Christmas night, I started
using the Mail program that was shipped with the computer. While it
worked as advertised, I didn't like it. So I downloaded Eudora 5.2-
the OS X version. I've been using Eudora for the past eight years. I
like it, I'm used to it, and IMHO, it is vastly superior to Apple's
Mail program.

I know I'm using the OS X version because when it launches, the Apple
in the menu bar remains blue and the upper left of all the Eudora
windows have the red, yellow, and green buttons. But your post got me
to thinking.

What I did was quit both Eudora and Explorer. Then I launched Apples
mail program. And clicked on some links that had been sent to me
while I was using that program. Guess what? The OS X version of
Explorer launched right away. It didn't even attempt to start Classic.

So I guess the problem lies with Eudora. While it runs native in OS
X, apparently it isn't a true OS X program. Must be some kind of
hybrid or carbon that runs under both operating systems. Thanks for
helping me figure out why this is happening.

Robert Roehner
<snopple at mac.com>