Follow up to HUUUGE Bug in Apple Mail

Grégoire Seither gregoire at pobox.com
Mon Jan 6 05:05:12 PST 2003

Hi all

Either nobody here uses Apple Mail, or I'm the only one running into
problems... or I'm doing something wrong. If anyone could point me to
the right direction, I'd be very thankful.

Bear with me a second, I think I have found what causes the problem :
(BTW : I have just reinstalled Mac OS X (wiped the drive clean and did
a full install plus updates) so I should now have a fairly cosher
system.)

I need to have multiple accounts with multiple identities for my work.
I therefore have created different accounts all with the same POP and
SMTP settings but with different identities (the email address and the
description are different).

Account 1:
description : John Doe from Home
email addr. : john_home at doe.com
full name : john doe
pop : mail.doe.com
username : john.doe
smtp : mail.doe.com

Account 2:
description : John Doe from Work
email addr. : john_work at doe.com
full name : Doe Corp.
pop : mail.doe.com
username : john.doe
smtp : mail.doe.com

Apparently the fact that the two accounts use the same POP settings
confuses Apple Mail. The messages in the InBox are flagged as belonging
to the two accounts. If you delete one of the accounts, all messages
belonging to that account are deleted from the Inbox....

It would be good if, in the next version of Apple Mail, the action of
deleting (or modifying) an account in the Preferences Pane would not
affect the messages already downloaded from the POP server.

Or am I completely wrong here ?

Cheers

Greg