[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

J Patrick Draine draine at attbi.com
Mon Jan 13 08:59:10 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 10:02  AM, Wally Rodriguez wrote:

> I recently installed 10.2 Jaguar into an iMac DV Graphite system.
>
> Not minutes after the installation the screen started smearing and
> then it
> won't come on at all. The computer starts up and then does nothing.
>
> Anyone know if this could be a software issue? I know that some
> machines
> without firmware updates could do some crazy things, but this?

Yes, from what I hear this can be caused by neglecting the firmware
updates before delving into Jaguar. The most important thing is  --
don't panic! I don't have the details of the fix but I've heard that if
you swap out your HD with one you've already got a working system on,
you can run the firmware updates, and then put your original HD back in.
Or, since you've got Firewire, you could use an external Firewire drive
to do the same thing. I think an authoritative version of this fix
would be in this list's archives.

Patrick Draine