[X Newbies] removing menu items

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 13 09:31:28 PST 2003

On 1/13/03 18:24, "Brian Fish" <b.fish at durandac.org> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to remove menu items that load in the upper right
> hand corner by the clock?  I'm running 10.2.3 and have a lot of stuff up
> there.  For instance, there's an iChat icon that is always up there (even if
> I don't have iChat running, it's greyed out).  At some point, I added an
> Applescript icon.  I rarely (if ever)use Applescripts, so this is just
> wasting space.  I also downloaded a CPU monitor called CeePeeYou that shows
> a fluctuating percentage.  Nice at times when you need it, but not something
> I want running all the time.  Is there an easy way to modify what is shown
> there?  Thanks.

Hold down the Command key, click one of the menu extras, and drag it off the
menubar. You'll get a nice little poof effect. You can put them back by
choosing the requisite options in the difference preferences panes.

Kirk

      My forthcoming book: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .