[X Newbies] Help - Dead iMac

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Jan 13 13:31:42 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 09:02  AM, Wally Rodriguez wrote:

> I recently installed 10.2 Jaguar into an iMac DV Graphite system.
>
> Not minutes after the installation the screen started smearing and
> then it
> won't come on at all. The computer starts up and then does nothing.
>
> Anyone know if this could be a software issue? I know that some
> machines
> without firmware updates could do some crazy things, but this?

That's exactly what happens if you don't have the current firmware
update.

First, your computer isn't doing nothing, it is starting up normally.
Its just the monitor isn't displaying anything.

The only fix is to somehow get the firmware update to run. When that
happened to someone here, through some combination of PRAM zaps and
booting from OS 9 CDs, she was able to get the monitor to show just
enough to be barely useable (stuff smeared all over the monitor). That
was enough for me to download the update and install it. Works great
now.

If you're lucky enough to have Timbuktu running on the affected
computer, you can try using remote control to download the update. If
not, I hope you have file sharing turned on. If so, you can download
the update and copy it to the appropriate place, then just follow the
directions to get the update to run by restarting with the programmer's
switch down. I'm hoping the documentation that comes with the updater
will tell you where it needs to go.

Good luck.

-Mike