[X Newbies] Do I need more ram?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Jan 21 17:17:20 PST 2003

>On 1/21/03 8:37 PM, "David" <whelp at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm actually scanning photos to produce a book from Apple using iphoto. I have
> looked everywhere for information about what scan resolution to use to produce
> a book and I've turned up only one sentence from Apple to the effect that you
> should use your camera pictures at the highest possible resolution.  I haven't
> read anything about what resolution to use if you're using scanned images. I
> also don't know if iphoto optimizes your files and thereby changes your
> resolutions before your book gets uploaded. If anyone has produced a book, I'd
> be interested in your advice.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave Whelpley G4 MacOs 10.2.3

Dave,

I would say pop by here if you haven't already and post a question in the
iPhoto Discussions.

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/iphoto/

iPhoto will give you a warning when you try and use a photo that is too low
resolution for publishing.. You definitely do not need 600dpi images. To
email that, you are going to have to send one mighty huge message(s).

I do not know how they print the files.. I assume using a high end/speed
full colour laser system or something in that area.. 150dpi is a good
guideline, but depending on the technology they use, you could bump that up
for safety sake.

If you supply them with higher resolution images than their printer
resolution - it won't matter.. They will just get printed at the device's
setting. If you go too low, you will get some pixelation or weird colour
anomalies.. And be choked with your book.

I think they have dummy proofed (pardon the term) the system to prevent the
disappointment, I guess it's all relative to what you're expecting. I
haven't seen one of these books either.. Though - I would build and print it
all myself anyway (I work in that industry).

Goodluck, let me know what you find out. It seems like a really great
system.

Bill Reburn