[X Newbies] disabling dial-up?

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jan 24 22:10:11 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 11:53  AM, Chris Beamis wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but...
>
> Is there a convenient way to make it so that I can disable the modem
> from dialing out while I'm using the machine?
>
> Sometimes I'll be working on something that has nothing to do with
> anything online, and I don't have
> mail or a web browser going, and the machine decides that it just
> _has_ to be connected for some reason,
> and it commences to dial up.  I would like to have some say over
> whether or not I'm dialed into the ISP!
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Don't know what your system is but for mine, BWG3 400 OS X 10.2.2.
external modem:
Go to System Preferences/Network/PPP/PPP Options and ensure "Connect
Automatically When Needed" is unchecked as if it is checked your system
may for some reason think you need an internet connection and commence
dialup.

HTH

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA