[X Newbies] Ordering a Book on iPhoto

Thomas D. Kearns thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net
Sun Jul 6 09:36:27 PDT 2003

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 10:15 AM, Dennis R. Cohen wrote:
> On 7/5/03 at 7:25 PM, Thomas D. Kearns <thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net>
> transmitted the following electronic message:
>> Has anybody actually been able to do it? The process of organizing the
>> Book is very hard.  T
> There are a number of things you can do, all of which are covered in my
> book (iLife Bible) and almost all of which are covered in iPhoto 2: The
> Missing Manual (I was the tech editor).

I bought your iPhoto book at Barnes & Noble last night.  Quite readable
so far but I think you should have been more critical of some of
iPhotos flaws.

> The page templates are just that: templates of page layouts that the
> book producer supports. iPhoto merely gives a graphic interface to the
> allowed layouts. The layouts support n photos per page and the size and
> organization will be determined by the orientation of the photos
> involved. You cannot "shrink" or "enlarge" individual items. For
> example, in the Picture Book theme, one portrait and two landscapes
> will
> fill the page, with the landscapes stacked and the portrait to one
> side.
> Assuming that all three were the same resolution, the portrait will be
> reduced less than the landscape. Three landscapes will result in a
> "pyramid" layout.

I'm starting to get the hang of that.  That concept should have been
explained in the help file.

> To avoid things moving around as the result of cascading changes, you
> should work from left to right along the sequence -- that way, the
> changes only affect items to the right, which you have yet to lay out.
> Additionally, you can select a page in the sequence and click the Lock
> Page checkbox. Now, changes made to the left will not cascade into or
> past the locked page,

I have had it cascade around the locked page to affect the set up later
in the chain.  I'll try again but this is a very significant flaw - has
anybody told Apple?

>  but if you ever unlock that page, expect a massive
> ripple effect to take place.
> Dennis Cohen
> Mac Digital Photography (Sept 2003)
> iLife Bible
> Mac OS X Bible
> and other titles

Thanks for the response.  I'm glad your book was available.   Tom